Friday 10 July 2015

Stories from the Coalescence of Creation: The Slug Sisters...

The Coalescence of Creation is an Award Winning Body Art Yarn Bomb Installation Art Piece featured at the World Bodypainting Festival in Austria by Artist Emma CammackWith Artists, Bodypainters and Models also featured in the presentation there were over 100 Artisans involved with making this extraordinary piece of team work happen, of that 100 over 85 were Fibre Artists creating beautiful handcrafted pieces to be a part of a crochet and knitted fantasy woodland on the banks of Worthersee. Each and every piece and every person that is part of the installation has a tale to tell of how they came to be there...

The inspiration for some of the creatures who feature in Coalescence of Creation installation were from many many web searched for beautiful knitted and crochet items. When I searched around for inspirations for the installation there were some amazing images and inspirational images I found for all kinds of creatures, beetles, bugs and butterflies that I shared with my amazing pool of fibre artists. One of my favourites was an image of some knitted slugs. They looked slimy and fantastic. They were ugly things, and I knew they had to be featured somehow as we needed a balance between beauty and beast. No-one wanted to make them, I sadly (having only basic knitting skills and having only just learned to crochet I did not have the level of skill required, so while beautiful butterflies and bugs flooded in my ugly ducking slugs remained unmade. Months went by and every now and then I would look at the slug pictures and wish I knew how to knit well enough to make them. 

Luckily my Mum, Dee Cammack, stepped up and knitted the two fabulous slug sisters pictured below. They look particularly fabulous on the grass green twine we found in a skip from a house clearance which ended up in the installation too. 

So here they are, The Slug Sisters in all their slimy splendour! Thank you Mum! They are wonderful. 



No comments:

Post a Comment